Friday, October 10, 2008

Empowering students - basics

Empowering students

Empowerment is the development of knowledge, skills and abilities in the learner to enable them to control and develop their own learning.
http://www.qualityresearchinternational.com/glossary/empowerment.htm


A Few Suggestions

The First Day
• Get Students Onboard
• Set the Bar—Establish Expectations
• Include in Syllabus and Stick to It
• Explicit and Explained Expectations
• Student Diagnostic/ Information Sheets
Some Ways to Encourage Participation in Class
• Write, Pair, Share
• Thought Questions
• In-Class Activities (CATS)
• The Power of PowerPoint
• Personal Response Systems

Meet Students Where They Are
• Early Assignments
• Adequate Resources— How can they participate?
• In-Class Dissection of Participation
• Why is participation important in this class?
• What are the ways to participate in this class?






What some students have said
I participate more in classes where…
there’s a smaller number of students.
I feel knowledgeable about the content.
I am required to participate.
I feel comfortable in the class/with prof.
I’m asked for personal input as much as, if not more than, information (from reading).
where ideas are shared and the instructor becomes a mediator, keeping focus adding input, guiding the direction of the forum.
if I am keeping up on the work so I understand and can correctly answer questions in the discussion.
there are a small number of students. In large lecture classes, it is more intimidating to actively participate in class. Also, when classes are divided into smaller groups to do group work, I participate much more.
the information is interesting to me.
there’s a lot of discussion on a certain topic.
participation and attendance are required. There are mandatory weekly readings or assignments and there is a daily schedule that I can see (and the instructor keeps!).
attendance/participation requirements get me talking or going to class even when I feel especially shy and/or lazy.
Mandatory readings/assignments keep me working on the class subject in a weekly routine.
Daily schedules keep me and the professor from straying off onto other thoughts/subjects, etc.
classes have small groups. In large lectures I tend to be a sponge, just sitting there soaking up the information. This works, but some sort of interaction and exchange of ideas can help remarkably in retaining information. If I’m in a group of three students, I feel much more comfortable and am less afraid of saying something stupid.
that I have some background knowledge in.
where ideas are accepted.
we leave room for just discussion.
we discuss topics that could lead to debates—things I am interested in.
when the professor lets me talk when I want to talk, doesn’t pressure me or put me on the spot.
have done reading.
there is diversity.
I feel strongly about an issue.
others become close-minded.
small groups discuss and join large group.
the teacher is ignorant or biased.
I am energized.
(lack of) intimidation.
the teacher requires different people to speak up.
the teacher leaves the awkward silence till someone new speaks up.
the teacher draws me out by asking simple yes/no questions or what do you think questions, after that it makes it easier to speak.
makes you say your name before answering or asks it.
switches between easy, medium, and hard questions.
I like questions that are based on opinion.
other students are not as bright as I am or where no intimidation exists.
instructors ask for and are receptive to participation.
the atmosphere is supportive and I don’t feel like the last kid dumped on a team instead of “picked”.
I feel comfortable.
I know my classmates.
open-ended questions.
silences (awkward silence until a new person speaks).
there’s variety, not just lecture.
creates friendly relationships with students: fun and jokes (but doesn’t have to be a comedian); shows enthusiasm for subject.


Instructors are more likely to get my participation…
ask questions—don’t just lecture the whole time—a lectures isn’t engaging enough, no matter how interesting. We need to be questioned. Pls respect us the way you want to be respected.
Be real with us. Don’t treat us like little kids, but don’t treat us like strangers. We’re here for you to share you knowledge & help us learn. Please teach me, don’t talk at me; be an instructor, not a lecturer.
with questions around material assigned to be read that day.
by involving students in actively describing the subject of the lecture.
if they call on me, have some ways to keep me interested and paying attention in the discussion.
when they have discussion questions. Also, when they make students feel more comfortable and do not put pressure on them to speak.
open up a topic for discussion and not just ask for questions.
If instructors are enthusiastic about the material/subject the class is more enjoyable and therefore I WANT to participate. Make jokes, tell stories (that relate to the subject) to keep us awake and responsive. Ask questions during/after lectures, have a slideshow with more than just words (pics, diagrams, charts, key points…).
Also, don’t try too hard because someone will always be dissatisfied or just not ambitious/respectable enough to attend or participate. If you just share your info to me as an adult than I will do my best to be an active participant. This is my education…
if the environment is relaxed. If the instructor makes me laugh out loud, I tend to lose that nervous feeling that usually blocks me from voicing my opinion.
if they make class fun or joke around.
if I am not put down for answering questions incorrectly.
if they create a relationship (friendly) with the class other than the typical teacher/student.
if they encourage communication.
they give points on participation. It’s part of the grade.
approach your answer with an open mind. Don’t make you feel stupid about what you say.
be available, approachable.
ask for our input.
ask lots of questions.
leaves room for discussion, not the class just taking notes when the prof lectures.
creates personal relationships—knows names.
randomly call my name.
are approachable.
communicate well.
do not push a discussion but let it develop.
connect the issues personally/relations.
if I feel I will impress the ladies present, or if I need extra points.
encourage participation.
ask for feedback.
encourage questions.
treat questions as valid not a bother.
know my name/if I have spoken with them outside of class and feel comfortable.
provide a safe & supportive atmosphere.
approachability.
demonstrations. (Show us what you are talking about.)
they don’t make it a race to the right answer.
don’t embarrass me.
actually incorporate students—our questions, use us as examples.
show their own vulnerability.

What I (the student) can do…
respectful listener; show compassion for the prof on the spot @ the front of the room; be there to learn; be prepared; make an effort to participate.
show up prepared and willing to talk about the material. Make the job of the instructor easier because of my contribution.
make an attempt to focus and to participate. I can make sure I have read/done the assignments so I am more willing to participate.
raise my hand and ask questions.
Show up.
Be prepared (do the homework/reading).
force yourself to be engaged (raise your hand).
Pay attention (don’t daydream/doodle all the time).
Develop a good relationship with classmates/teacher (office hrs!).
tell the instructor that “I learn better when…”
go to class.
do the homework so I understand what is going on.
not sit by friends.
visit office hours.
I can hold myself accountable to go to class & participate. I know if I get into the material & discussions I will know & learn the information better.
observe.
listen.
appreciate.
self-introduction.
ask questions.
do the required reading.
try to come to class with at least one question.
pay attention.
don’t be afraid to speak up.
actually read the material so that I will have something intelligent to contribute to the discussion.
go to office hours and make a personal connection.
ask questions.
share relevant info, articles, videos, unassigned stuff from the book.
keep up on the homework & reading.
For me, I try not to miss class no matter what, unless I’m out of town. I do mostly cuz I’m afraid to miss important questions that might show up on midterms and finals. Just being in class makes me connected and feel on top of it.
make friends in the class.
appreciate the instructor’s passion and (investment of) time.


Resources
Activities that Increase Student Participation in the Classroom
http://www.bus.indiana.edu/mahmed/teachln/stu_part.htm

Extensive list of activities from Technology Services at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University Bloomington.

Class Participation: More than just raising your hand
http://www.cet.sfsu.edu/etl/content/participation/participation.pdf

Multi-page handout from San Francisco State University.

Encouraging Student Participation in Class
http://www.utexas.edu/student/utlc/si/simanual4la/leaddiscussions/encstupart.doc

Concise information that introduces the idea of participation on a variety of levels. (Downloads as a Word document.)

Overview of Learner-Centered Education: Some Things for Students to Know as We Start
(c) Glinda Crawford 2003
http://www.und.edu/instruct/gcrawfor/writing/instruction/overview.htm

Information that this particular instructor shares with students about the importance of engagement in the class. Good
reading.

A Participation Rubric
Adam Chapnick of the University of Toronto.
http://cstl.syr.edu/cstl/TeachProf/TP0503.pdf

Class Participation Rubric
William J. Monaco, Pennsylvania State University, DuBois Campus, Biological Sciences
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/w/x/wxm15/curriculum/participation_rubric.htm

Class Participation Rubric
Kent Brorson, University of Minnesota Duluth, College of Education and Human Services Professions
http://www.d.umn.edu/~kbrorson/classparticipation.htm

Classroom Participation Rubric
Phillip VanFossen, Purdue University, College of Education
http://www.edci.purdue.edu/vanfossen/604/604partrubric.html

Student Participation: Assessment and Evaluation
Kathleen Tunney, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, Department of Social Work
http://www.siue.edu/~deder/partrub.html

Class Participation Rubric
Craig Rowland, George Mason University, Graduate School of Education
http://gse.gmu.edu/syllabi/summer2004/edle/EDLE616-C01-04D-Rowland.pdf
Source- http://tep.uoregon.edu/workshops/teachertraining/beginnings/index.html#resources
http://www.qualityresearchinternational.com/glossary/#a
A lecture on the subject at YouTube Lecture at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neqjq1qXHCw

Robert L. Fielding

No comments: